This post is a more personal kind of post, I briefly mentioned before on my blog that I have suffered with low self esteem and how blogging and other bits I've picked up along the way have helped me get over that and feel alot more comfortable in my own skin. I am not saying I am 100% confident but let's just say I'm alot better then what I was a year ago and truthfully, I've learnt to accept that I am me and I can not change that.
'To all the girls that think your fat because your not a size zero, you're the beautiful one its society who's ugly' - Marilyn Monroe
'Proof That you can be adored by thousands of men, even when your thighs touch'
* More than 90 percent of girls – 15 to 17 years – want to change at least one aspect of their physical appearance, with body weight ranking the highest.
* Girls’ self-esteem peaks when they are 9 years old.
* 80% of children who are 10 years old are afraid of being fat.
* Nearly a quarter of girls age 15-17 would consider undergoing plastic surgery.
*13 percent of girls age 15-17 acknowledge having an eating disorder.
*80% of 10-year-old girls have dieted. 90% of high school junior and senior women diet regularly.
All these statistics are shocking, and true. I go to an all girls school so I there is naturally more competition to be the 'prettiest' or to have the 'nicest' hair, which I think knocks your self esteem quite alot.
The fact that girls as young as 9 are feeling down because of their body, is awful, they are so young!
At one point, I went through a slight rough patch with my self esteem, it was pretty bad, I remember going on holiday and even though it was absolutely boiling I would sit there in my top and shorts, I would NOT just lie there in my bikini, because I thought someone would be looking and making remarks about my body. Looking back now, I think I was stupid and it really put a downer to my holiday.
Now that I am feeling more comfortable in my skin I thought I'd make a post and how I become more comfortable and confident with yourself.
I have a few tips to help make yourself feel more comfortable in your own skin -
1) Compliment yourself - Naturally when you stand in front of a mirror you will look at the area of your body your unhappy with such as your stomach or thighs and quickly judge yourself and moan about it, which instantly puts you in a bad mood and makes you feel like crap. Now when you stand in front of a mirror think of something good about yourself, for example if you like your hair, then compliment yourself. It sounds weird and 'vain' but trust me, it works. It stops yourself thinking about the 'bad' things and you concentrate on the 'good' things. Complimenting other people will also help both you and the other person.
2) Find your style - Find your style and what suits you. When you don't feel comfortable in what your wearing then all day you won't feel confident and it'll constantly be in the back of your mind. For example, if you don't feel comfortable in short shorts.. don't wear them! All day you'll just be thinking, 'is my bum showing', 'OMG I feel so fat'.. It's not a nice feeling. Always try clothes on and imagine being out in a busy place with the piece of clothing on, would you feel good in it? Don't feel pressurized into wearing something because it's on trend. You can be trendy and comfortable at the same time.
3) Don't Compare yourself - This is one that I feel happens alot. I am someone who opens up a magazine and look at a picture of someone and want her figure, and then compare my body to hers. Why? This then makes me feel bad about my body and want to change it. Truth is, alot of magazine photo shoots are airbrushes and imperfections of the celebrity have been covered up!
4) Bring out what you like about yourself - Wear clothing or make up that will help enhance your natural beauty. If you love your waist & Hips, wear a nice belt that will pinch your waist in. If you like your legs, show them off, but please girls do NOT wear shorts that show your bum... it is not attractive.
5) SMILE - This sounds like a pretty stupid one, but smiling helps your confidence. I'm a huge smiler, I'm always smiling. When someone smiles, there eyes brighten and they instantly look more beautiful. If you are walking down the street smiling, I don't mean a full on teeth smile otherwise you'll look like this -
And people will just think your weird. Just smile naturally. Remember, the best curve on a woman's body is their smile.
Doing all this regularly will really help boost your confidence and help you feel more beautiful in your own skin.
Tips from my twitter friends -
|Helen from Beautifully Superfluous|
|Daisy from Daisy Cakes|
|Rupinder from Sei Bella|
|Jayne from Jayne's Kitschen|
|Jenny from Beauty And The Biryani|
|Helen from The lovecats inc|
|Emily from One Way Beauty|
|Olivia from Ohmy Olivia|
|Morag from Mo' Adore|
|Emari from Touche De Mode|
|Charlotte from Charlottes Web|
I really hope this post has helped you! Let me know what advice you'd give to someone with low self esteem? Or it you have suffered from low self esteem how did you get over it?
Remember you are not alone!